ABOUT OUR POLICY
WHEN & HOW DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
We collect your information when you give it to us directly, indirectly or when you use our website.
- DIRECTLY: You may give us your personal information when you interact with us during or after a training session you attend, when you make a donation to us, or communicating directly with a member of the Physics Partners team.
- INDIRECTLY: We may receive your personal information via a fundraising organisation or platform (for example Trustfunding.org.uk).
- WEBSITE: You can browse our website without revealing any personal information. If you decide to contact us via the “Contact Us” facility on the website, make a donation or register for an event, you will need to provide personal information which will only be collected with your consent and is kept within the Physics Partners’ database.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
When you interact with us either in person, on-line or at an event, we may collect your name, email address, postal address, phone number and contact preferences. Dependent on the reason for your contact we may also request your DBS Certificate number and information about training and teaching experience.
We may also collect information on the donations you make, specific details on the interaction you have with us or events you partake in.
We gather this information to ensure our communications are appropriate and tailored to you and your specific interests in our activities.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION?
We will use your data to:
- Deal with your enquiries or requests
- Process and acknowledge donations
- Keep a record of any interaction with us
- Undertake administrative purposes, for example informing you about training opportunities
- Provide updates on our work
- Analyse and improve our website, services, products or information
- Process a job application
- Keep you up to date regarding any legal and compliance obligations applicable to Physics Partners
- Help us to investigate any complaints or other enquiries you raise
- Provide you with access to parts of the Physics Partners website, for example to our experiments database
- Inform you about Physics Partners events or events that Physics Partners believes may interest you, if you have opted into receiving relevant marketing communications
Please note that we will continue to send you information about the activities of Physics Partners via email based on legitimate interest unless you specify you don’t want to hear from us in this way. To do this please see the section “How can you change your information and how can you access it?” below for more information.
WHO HAS ACCESS TO YOUR INFORMATION?
Your personal information is accessible by Physics Partners staff, trustees and volunteers, who are all trained in data protection. Access is regularly reviewed and all partners will only act under our instruction, within a contractual relationship and not use data for their own purposes.
In certain situations, it may be necessary for us to share your personal data with a third party. In such circumstances, we will have contracts in place requiring them to comply with our data protection policy. We will never sell your data to third parties or another organisation.
We will only disclose your personal information without your consent when it is required for us to do so by law, such as to authorised agencies or government authorities.
HOW DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION SAFE?
We have appropriate measures and precautions in place to ensure we protect and look after your personal data. All staff are trained in data protection and understand the importance of keeping your personal data safe at all times.
At Physics Partners we recognise that the security of passing data through the internet cannot be guaranteed. Whilst we strive to ensure protection of any data you transmit to us, you do so at your own risk. However, once we receive your data, we make every effort to guarantee its security, in both our own systems and that shared with organisations performing operations on our behalf.
HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION FOR?
We hold your data for as long as needed to meet any financial or legal obligations or until it is no longer relevant or necessary for the use originally intended.
If you wish to no longer hear from us we will retain the minimum information required to ensure we do not contact you in the future and to store any historic financial transactions you have made to us.
WHAT IS OUR LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
A lawful basis is required for all organisations to legally collect and use personal data under data protection laws. The types of lawful basis relevant to the type of work that Physics Partners carries out, include:
- Individual consent – sending marketing communications
- Legal Obligation – processing necessary for compliance with a legal obligation (where consent may not have been given) – seeking a gift aid declaration for example
- Legitimate interest – includes contacting you with regards to a legal obligation (as above), and use of your personal data in the fulfilment of our training obligations. In this instance we will use and process your data as long as it is fair and does not adversely impact your rights as an individual or where there is an imbalance of the interests of both parties involved.
HOW CAN YOU CHANGE YOUR INFORMATION AND HOW CAN YOU ACCESS IT?
It is important to us at Physics Partners that you are happy with the way we are communicating with you. If for any reason you are not, please contact email@example.com to change your contact preferences.
Please note that if you tell us you no longer want to hear from us for marketing purposes, we may still contact you for administrative purposes, such as any donations you make, administering our training activities or resolving a query.
- Under data protection legislation, you have a number of rights with regards to your access to the data we hold on you.
- If you believe our record of you to be incorrect, please get in touch to ask us to update this.
- If you wish to request the information we hold on you, please get in touch using the details above and we will send it to you in writing. Your request will be processed immediately but please allow up to 30 days to receive the data.
- You have the right to ask us to stop using your personal data, for example in a situation where you feel it is no longer needed for the reason you initially provided it or disagree about its accuracy or the legitimate interest to which we are processing it.
- You have the right to be forgotten, for example have your personal data deleted or transferred to another organisation (data portability). In this instance we will need to keep limited information to ensure that you are not contacted in the future and for the minimum period required for any financial obligation related to a donation you may have made.
In all circumstances you will be asked to provide proof of identity before we can share or amend any personal data. If you have any concerns about the way we are using your data please get in touch using details provided below. You are also entitled to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
WHEN WILL WE UPDATE THIS NOTICE?
This policy was last updated on 16th May 2018. Where necessary, changes will be made, so we recommend you check back from time to time, however any significant changes will be made clear on our website or you will be contacted if these directly affect you.
HOW TO CONTACT US?
We are more than happy to provide further information or an explanation about any of our practices.
Social sharing buttons on this site may also gather information about you but not for us, for the respective site that the button is from. We have no access to this information.
To download a copy of this policy, click here.